Linux Systems Engineer (Senior)
Job Description BAE Systems, a top-ten prime contractor to the U.S. Department of Defense, enables the U.S. government to transform data into intelligence and provides engineering, integration and sustainment support for critical military platforms and systems. Intelligence & Security provides services and products to the Department of Defense, the government, federal law enforcement officials, and troops deployed around the world.
At BAE Systems, we promote a strong, collaborative culture and provide our employees with the tools, skills and training they need to succeed. We are all about trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in defense technologies and national security services. We offer flexible work environment to support the balance in your life and keep you performing at your best. Be a part of a company that is part of the community; driven to improve our future and protect our freedom.
We are looking for experienced System Engineers to join our technology-based program supporting a key government customer. This program will deliver engineering services for network infrastructure as well as sophisticated enterprise computing infrastructure including end-point devices, data center hosted servers, multi-Cloud services as well as virtualized applications, and storage systems. Enterprise Computing Engineering services include modern application technology including containerized solutions with orchestrated workflow that function both on customer premise, and via remote Cloud services. Network infrastructure engineering services are comprised of core infrastructure, voice and video engineering, field engineering, application management and development for networks, network analytics, firewalls, network access controls and bandwidth service delivery. This is a fast paced, challenging, and career rewarding experience to recruit and develop provide top talent and solutions on one of the most complex and high-profile programs within the government.
Bachelor's Master's degrees are preferred with a background utilizing the following
Required Education, Experience, & Skills We are looking for a Senior Linux Systems Engineer with a minimum of 6+ years' experience.
- Linux including Red Hat and its derivatives (centOS, RHEL, RockyOS).
- Experience in shell scripting and manipulating the Linux command line.
- Experience providing Linux Administration support Experience providing engineering infrastructure support.
Duties To Include But Not Limited To
- Perform systems engineering and software development in multiple large enterprise server environments (e.g., Linux, Red Hat and CentOS)
- Provide technical guidance in software engineering techniques and automated support tools.
- Analyze functional business applications and design specifications for functional activities.
- Prepare required documentation (program-level and user-level)
- Assist in establishing standards for information systems procedures.
- Perform technical evaluations and analysis.
- Support the customer in the development and maintenance of systems baseline.
- Assess server loads and work with technical leads to develop tuning recommendations.
- Additional duties, as assigned.
O&M duties include:
- Provide operational pager/phone duty support.
- Complete day-to-day Operations & Maintenance tasks
- Perform operating system software updates, upgrades and patches.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Experience with the following languages: Python, Ruby, Bash, PHP
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), CloudFormation, google Cloud and Microsoft Azure
- Experience with configuration management software (e.g., Ansible, Puppet Manifests and Foreman)
- Experience with cloud computing, including PaaS, IaaS and SaaS
- Experience with CaaS (e.g., Kubernetes and OpenShift)
- Experience with LAMP
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
Our Commitment To Diversity, Equity, And Inclusion
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.