Sr. Platform Engineer
Aha! helps companies build lovable software. We provide the world's #1 product development tools — Aha! Roadmaps , Aha! Ideas , Aha! Create , and Aha! Develop — which are used by more than 700,000 builders. Product teams rely on our expertise, guided templates, and training programs via Aha! Academy to be their best. We are proud to be a very different type of high-growth SaaS company. The business is self-funded, profitable, and 100 percent remote. We are recognized as one of the best fully remote companies to work for, champion the Bootstrap Movement , and have given over $1M to people in need through Aha! Cares . Learn more at www.aha.io .
Aha! engineering is a mid-sized, fully remote team that is highly productive. We are centered around North American time zones so we can collaborate during the workday.
- We move quickly: We ship code multiple times a day. We believe in getting new features in front of customers and iteratively improving as we learn what works and what does not.
- We collaborate: We each bring unique experiences and skills to the table. Working together to share that knowledge benefits the entire team and helps us produce the best results for our customers.
- We value product over process: We want the team to have the time and focus to solve complex challenges. We aim to minimize the overhead introduced by heavyweight processes and excessive meetings.
- We enjoy: We like what we do. And we want you to love your job too. Learn more about The Responsive Method , our company values , and the generous benefits we offer.
Our web application is a single-instance, multi-tenant Ruby on Rails monolith supported by Postgres (database), Redis (background jobs), memcached (Rails caching), and Kafka. We also run a Node.js webserver to support collaborative editing and real-time updates. Our application is hosted on Amazon Web Services and architected with ECS for reproducibility and scalability.
We embrace new technologies that help us deliver a lovable product, but we also remain cognizant of the maintenance overhead that a new library or platform brings. We solve the problems in front of us rather than prematurely optimizing to address issues that may never materialize. That said, some of the largest companies in the world store a large amount of their precious strategic data in Aha!, so we do plenty of optimizing too.
We do most of our planning and collaboration in Aha! Roadmaps and built Aha! Develop so that software engineers and their teams could take advantage of those same rich features. We use Slack and Zoom for video calls. (Email? Rarely.)
We believe that being a kind person who elevates the rest of the team is just as valuable as writing great code. You have strong problem-solving skills and experience working on important functionality for a cloud-based product. You are humble, eager to learn, and always willing to help others learn as well. You want to work with people who enjoy picking up a problem and solving it, regardless of the technologies and techniques involved. You have worked at meaningful scale before and want to do so again. You also have the below experience and skills:
- 4+ years working in Ruby on Rails as well as a Rails codebase
- Managing AWS infrastructure using terraform
- Using containerization and build systems
- Producing fast, efficient, and reliable services
- Writing high-performance systems based on Kafka
Your work at Aha!
As Sr. Platform Engineer, you will support the rest of the engineering team by developing abstractions, frameworks, and tools which help other Aha. engineers build the product.
- Building developer tooling such as CI pipelines, local and staging environments, and helpful CLI tools. You will also assist the SRE team in building out monitoring and observability pipelines
- Building infrastructure services to be used by Aha! product developers. This will usually include writing a reference architecture in our main Rails app
- Working with the SRE team to write and maintain well-written production runbook and operations documentation
- Consulting with application developers on performance optimization or scaling challenges
If the Sr. Platform Engineer role sounds appealing, we would love to hear from you. (A real human reviews every application.)
Grow with us
Everyone deserves to reach their fullest potential. We know that when we do work that matters with people we care about in a high-growth environment, we feel engaged and alive. And our goal is to help you do just that. We offer all the benefits you would expect and more, including profit sharing. The specific benefits listed below are reflective of what we offer U.S.-based hires. We also do our best to extend identical benefits to international teammates.
- The base salary range for this role in the US is between $110,000 and $190,000
- Cash-based compensation also includes profit sharing and we contribute a percentage of your total pay each month towards your retirement
- Medical, dental, and vision plans — for many teammates, we cover 100 percent of the premiums
- Up to 200 hours of paid time off a year to spend however you want
- 30 to 90 days of paid parental leave and five to 10 days of paid care and bereavement leave
- Up to $1,000 annually for third-party education, along with paid time off to immerse yourself in learning
- Volunteer opportunities throughout the year
Base salary and total compensation are dependent upon many factors, such as: skills, experience, and relevant past roles