Staff I Engineer - Cloud Native Runtimes - Opportunity for Working Remotely
The Elevator Pitch: Why would you enjoy this new opportunity?
As a Staff Software Engineer of the Cloud Native Runtimes engineering team, you join a team which enables Tanzu customers to run business-critical applications on Kubernetes. You will work with a variety of application architectures including traditional, microservice and serverless and interface with product and field organizations to deliver secure, scalable and reliable solutions to customers. As a curator of the application runtime experience, developers leveraging the Tanzu Application Platform (TAP) will rely on the capabilities exposed by the runtime during both application development and production delivery of containerized software to achieve business outcomes.
VMware Tanzu Application Platform (informally known as TAP), part of Vmware Tanzu portfolio of products, is a packaged set of components that helps developers and operators to more easily build, deploy, and manage apps on a Kubernetes platform. Cloud Native Runtimes focuses on the execution environment for those applications, including serverless runtimes based on Knative Serving and traditional runtimes based on Kubernetes Deployments. Additionally, the runtime team supports underlying network capabilities which support running applications, such as HTTP Ingress using the Contour project.
You might like working with us if you:
- Like working as a part of an empowered balanced team.
- Believe in Outcomes over Output.
- Prioritize equitable treatment, inclusivity, and diversity.
- Work with empathy and kindness.
- Believe in doing the right thing and doing what works.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months, you will work toward completing?
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of the Kubernetes ecosystem, Knative, Kubernetes controllers and a broader knowledge of Tanzu, TAP and the relevant resources and components we build and interact with
- Scope, design and build scalable and high-performance runtimes, measured by the following outcomes:
- Enhance automated and repeatable scalability testing which can be referenced by sales and product teams
- Debug issues encountered by customers and during internal performance testing
- Design and implement multiple features in collaboration with PM and engineering team members
- Write and present design documents to the Tanzu engineering community
- Be a role model for fellow engineers by establishing and improving engineering standards and processes.
- You will have developed the respect of the team as a leader and mentor
- You proactively identify areas of improvement and propose and drive improvements
- You are able to navigate and resolve ambiguity for the team - We are always striving to make progress even with the unknowns in our space
- Maintain and improve CI/CD processes in place in the CNR and TAP release environments.
- Design and deliver priority features by working with the key stakeholders, including PMs, architects, other team members, and across geographic locations.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency with Go and Carvel build tools
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
We are searching for a talented, dynamic, hands-on development engineer to join us in building and improving the TAP runtime component. You will work closely with a team of passionate people with a modern mindset and who want to change the status quo. If you want the energy of a startup with all the perks of a public company this is the opportunity you should be looking at.
In this role you will play an integral role in the TAP runtime development, collaborating with other TAP component teams like supply chain, Contour, and the Knative open-source community to enhance runtime capabilities. You will write and deliver reliable code through integration, test automation, and in-depth code review.
Working on open-source Kubernetes controllers, you will work primarily with the Go language on GitHub, using open source client libraries with bash script scaffolding in some cases. You will also work with the Carvel toolchain to package and deliver packages to the Tanzu project from internal source control systems.
As a highly distributed remote team, we work hard to maintain strong collaborative bonds, including occasionally leveraging remote pairing when executing on stories.
You will work with OSS communities and internal teams using systems used by those groups (slack, github, gitlab, Jira).
As a Staff Engineer of the cloud native runtimes team, you will
- Write high-quality code with excellent code coverage using languages like Go
- Write unit tests,integration tests and E2E tests to ensure code quality and maintain continuous integration pipelines
- Do a significant amount of exploratory work - exploring and synthesizing technical information to share with the team or writing low-fidelity code for proof-of-concepts
- Work with a variety of open-source technologies and communities, including Knative Serving, Contour and Carvel
- Partner with the Leadership and product team to establish a vision and a roadmap for TAP runtimes
- You will collaborate with teammates to develop, release, and maintain software for enterprise customers and community users
- You will also be expected to support enterprise customers and field representatives and join an on-call rotation
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Lekha Pillai, who leads the Cloud Native Runtimes team.
Our core culture places a strong emphasis on teamwork, having a growth mindset and being kind to each other.
We are a distributed team spanning from Seattle and Toronto to Atlanta, Georgia, so we collaborate often through Slack and Zoom and work frequently with teams across the business unit. Though fully remote, we also find time to connect and get to know each other via virtual social hours and team co-location events.
Where is this role located?
Remote: This role is fully remote, allowing you the flexibility to work from the location you feel most productive and comfortable, or the location agreed upon with your hiring manager. You will be expected to live within a number of time zones from your team as defined by your business.
Additionally, if you live in the surrounding Atlanta area or locations with a VMware office, you will have the option to work from the office partly or fully if you wish to do so.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting benefits.vmware.com.
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, training, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
For US based candidates, the annual pay range (OTE for commissioned roles; Salary for other roles) for this position is: $139,000 - $331,000. The actual offer will be based on the role, location, and individual candidate experience. Bonus, commission, and/or equity may be eligible for this position. VMware offers comprehensive benefits including, but not limited to: medical, dental, and vision plans, company paid holidays, paid sick leave, and vacation time. Additional benefits for this position can be found at https://benefits.vmware.com/. Your talent advisor can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.