Principal Cloud DBA
Love cutting-edge tech? We do too.
A subsidiary of Publicis Groupe, Epsilon is a leading provider of multi-channel marketing services, technologies, and database solutions. We do more than collect and store data, and we might be the most important Internet company you’ve never heard of. Join our team for your chance to work in the digital marketing space and solve meaningful problems on a massive scale—and have fun doing it.
For this role, we are seeking a Principal Database Administrator with a balance of skills in database design, physical implementation, and performance tuning. You will be part of a team that is supporting cloud Data Warehouse and Data Lake environments implemented on AWS or Azure for some of Epsilon’s most prominent Database Marketing clients.
What you’ll do:
- Design, configure, and manage Data Warehouse Database Systems on Cloud (AWS Redshift, EMR HBase and Snowflake).
- Monitor and report on performance metrics, system health, and logging compliance on database services or database appliances.
- Perform database administration tasks including backup and recovery, troubleshooting, performance tuning and SQL optimization.
- Design database schema, tune data types and data distribution for performance optimization.
- Configure and implement workload management for resource allocation and query event handling.
- Support users and troubleshoot data access applications and ad hoc queries.
- Develop and support shell scripts for database activities, such as data loading, unloading, and maintenance.
- Manage data replication, data encryption, backup storage and archiving procedures.
- Follow standards and best practices for availability, security, backup and recovery, and integrity of client databases on-prem and cloud.
- Evaluate new Data Warehousing and Analytics cloud services and technologies and recommend to technical management.
- Contribute to documenting company database and cloud services standards, guidelines, and operational procedures.
- Perform a variety of tasks relying on experience and judgment to manage time, plan and accomplish goals on several client engagements.
- Mentor and develop junior and mid-level members of the team.
- Provide 24 x 7 x 365 support through on-call rotation
- Able to do your best work in a team setting and autonomously
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Owns a problem to the end
- Proud to share in team’s success
- Wants to grow a career with a great company.
What you’ll bring:
- BS in Computer Science or related technical discipline or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years of experience in general database administration.
- At least 6 years of experience managing and maintaining Data Warehouse technologies, such as IBM Netezza, Teradata, Greenplum or similar.
- At least 3 years of experience managing Cloud Data Warehouse database technologies, such as AWS Redshift, Snowflake, Databricks or similar.
- Proven expertise in migrating large on-prem Data Warehousing solutions to the public cloud.
- Strong knowledge in Hadoop eco system components such as YARN, MapReduce, HDFS, HBase, Zookeeper, Hive.
- Experience interacting with vendor support to ensure open issues are resolved within defined SLA.
- Proficiency in Data Warehousing MPP architecture, technologies, and concepts
- Expert skills in writing and analyzing complex SQL queries for performance.
- Competence to read and interpret query plans, database statistics and database performance measurements and optimize SQL.
- Proficiency in backup and recovery methodologies and techniques
- Ability to diagnose problems and resolve issues across various tiers (application, database, network, and appliance)
- Adherence to SDLC, Change Management, troubleshooting and development methodologies.
- Strong Unix/Linux and shell scripting
- Ability to perform work with minimal supervisory direction
- AWS Solutions Architect certification is a plus