MaaS/OpenStack Cloud Engineer
GEICO is seeking an experienced OpenStack, Metal as a Service (MaaS), Cloud Engineer to be a part of exciting projects focused on building and optimizing large-scale private cloud infrastructures. The ideal candidate is an expert in designing, building, managing, and scaling OpenStack environments, with a deep understanding of OpenSource technologies and a passion for hardware automation and cloud services. This individual thrives in a collaborative atmosphere and possesses a strategic mindset for advancing cloud infrastructure and delivering innovative solutions.
As a Principal OpenStack/MaaS, Cloud Engineer in our Hardware Engineering team, you will spearhead the design, development, deployment, and management of our advanced private cloud systems. This role requires an individual who can innovate, propose, and deliver robust technology solutions, leveraging extensive experience in hardware automation, server management, and large-scale system design. You will be pivotal in transitioning objectives into operational realities, contributing significantly to the organization's growth and success in the private cloud space.
As a Principal Engineer II, you will:
- Contribute to the architecture, implementation, and ongoing management of scalable and robust private clouds using OpenStack and MaaS
- Develop automation processes for provisioning, configuring, and managing bare metal servers in a large-scale environment
- Collaborate with internal teams to design and improve tools that automate and streamline infrastructure deployment and operations
- Contribute high-quality, well-documented code, with a commitment to OpenSource community development practices
- Drive continuous improvement by staying updated with emerging technologies and industry best practices, ensuring the security, stability, and scalability of the system architecture
- Accountable for the quality, usability, and performance of the solutions
- Utilize programming languages like Python, C# or other object-oriented languages, SQL, and NoSQL databases, Container Orchestration services including Docker and Kubernetes, and a variety of Azure tools and services
- Consistently share best practices and improve processes within and across teams
- Mentor junior team members, providing guidance and insight related to cloud infrastructure and best practices in system management
- Proficiency in working with OpenStack components and services
- Proficiency in working with KVM and Metal as a Service platforms and services
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement complex IT solutions on a large scale
- Strong skills in scripting and automation using Python and Go
- Familiarity with infrastructure as code (IAC) methodologies, particularly using Terraform
- Expertise in utilizing Ansible for configuration management and deployment
- Deep knowledge of Linux/Unix systems, including system administration and scripting
- Strong understanding of networking concepts, protocols, and security (TCP/IP, HTTP, load balancing, etc.)
- Experience with Operating Systems design, deployment and debugging especially in Linux and Windows operating environments
- Hands-on experience with configuring and integration of cloud storage technologies such as fiber channel storage, SAN, and Software Defined Storage like Ceph, MINIO etc.
- Exceptional problem-solving capabilities, with a proven track record of overcoming technical challenges
- Effective communication skills, capable of building strong relationships with team members, stakeholders, and external partners
- 4+ years in a similar role, with a focus on OpenStack cloud environments and hardware automation
- 4+ years of proven experience in designing, deploying, and managing large-scale private clouds
- 4+ years of hands-on experience in systems/server management working with technologies like Redfish, BMC, and IPMI standards
- 4+ years of experience integrating and configuring cloud storage solutions such as direct attached storage, Storage Area Network (SAN), JBOD/JBOD
- 4+ years of experience working with security protocols and products: Understanding of Active Directory, Windows Authentication, SAML, OAuth
- 4+ years of experience in a collaborative development environment, utilizing modern software development methodologies
- 4+ years scripting/coding experience in one of the following languages: C/C++ development, Bash, Python or GO
- 4+ years of experience in developing and maintaining large scale, high-availability systems
- 3+ years of solid history of engaging with OpenSource communities, with contributions to projects, forums, or discussions
- 8+ years of professional software development experience
- 5+ years of experience with systems architecture and design
- 5+ years of experience working with AWS, GCP, Azure, or another cloud service
- 4+ years of experience in open-source frameworks
- 1+ years of technical leadership experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent education or work experience
$105,000.00 - $236,500.00
The above annual salary range is a general guideline. Multiple factors are taken into consideration to arrive at the final hourly rate/ annual salary to be offered to the selected candidate. Factors include, but are not limited to, the scope and responsibilities of the role, the selected candidate’s work experience, education and training, the work location as well as market and business considerations.
At this time, GEICO will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
As an Associate, you’ll enjoy our Total Rewards Program* to help secure your financial future and preserve your health and well-being, including:
- Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period**
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
- 401(k) Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Training and Licensures
*Benefits may be different by location. Benefit eligibility requirements vary and may include length of service.
**Coverage begins on the date of hire. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
The equal employment opportunity policy of the GEICO Companies provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
GEICO reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This applies to all applicants and associates. GEICO also provides a work environment in which each associate is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all associates and applicants.