Associate Director of Cloud
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
The position is looking for an Associate Director of Cloud with a strong focus on cloud native services, DevOps, big data, and complex systems. The ideal candidate should have expertise in architecting complex systems and cloud-based services, with expert-level experience in AWS and additional experience in GCP or Azure being a plus.
The candidate must be able to provide technical expertise and leadership to onshore and offshore teams, support application developers, data scientists, and application architects, and interface with product leads. The candidate should have a deep understanding of DevOps & Infrastructure-As-Code (IaC) delivery models, Cloud Security, IT architecture, and data architecture.
The Associate Director responsibility includes managing proposals, setting vision, and executing them to completion, oversee all technical and business objectives for projects, including DevOps, and Agile production processes of one or more highly skilled teams, much of it will be in India. The team will be responsible for driving innovation in the cloud space and providing a long-term executable vision for the company's objectives.
- Ability to coach and develop employees and be a technology leader, mentor at all levels of the organization and be responsible for cloud strategy, architecture and resolving difficult technical roadblocks.
- In-depth knowledge of a wide variety of AWS services, beyond just EC2s and Databases. Expertise in serverless, managed services, API-Governance, Basic Networking, AWS big data, ML, and AI services is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience with AWS Service Catalog, CloudFormation at scale and reuse, and the ability to influence multiple workstreams with reusable IaC components.
- Experience in architecting large scale, multi-account, multiregional, serverless solutions on AWS and addressing all non-functional and AWS Well-Architected concerns in the design.
- Must be able to design for end-user simplicity while ensuring the system can handle complexity and exceptions internally.
- Experience in breaking down projects into MVP and Agile deliverables, delivering complex end systems incrementally.
- Strong understanding of cloud usage costs and FinOps practices and be able to deliver cloud cost optimization solutions.
- Experience in integrating Amazon S3-based solutions with complex access management, to be used for ETL, data preparation, data quality, machine learning, and visualization/BI systems.
- Design for disaster recovery in IaaS Cloud platform and possess strong scripting skills, such as Python, Bash, Ruby, Perl, PowerShell, SSM, etc.
- Managing substantial numbers of cloud accounts consistently using automation. Cloud SDK, CLI and scripting hands-on knowledge is necessary.
- Hands-on experience with cloud projects.
- Strong verbal, non-verbal diagramming, and written communication skills, with the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations
- Experience with building an automated build-pipeline, continuous integration, and continuous deployment. Experience with source code control repositories
- In-depth understanding of Interface-Contracts, Loosely Coupled designs and simplifying solutions and reducing TCO for the end-to-end picture.
- Experience creating and maintaining an Enterprise Internal Development Platform or equivalent highly reusable components or services.
- Prior success in automating a real-world production environment
- Expertise in Cloud security and access models
- Management of continuous integration servers like AWS Code Pipeline, Code Build.
- Familiarity with monitoring tools
- Strong practical Linux and Windows-based server configuration and automation skills, particularly in a Cloud environment.
- Experience with seamless/automated build scripts used for release management across environments.
- Expertise in data gravity issues and solutions
- Experience in GCP or Azure, including data and ML services
- Experience building and supporting serverless automation in AWS
- Expertise in PaaS, and SaaS methodologies, network integration and controls
- Experience with automated testing tools
- Experience architecting big data and data warehouse cloud systems a plus.
- Experience architecting and providing service for projects that utilize machine learning, sagemaker and AI pipelines
- Lead and manage a team of Developers and Engineers to produce automation and solutions.
- Create and provide long-term technical leadership and vision for multiple teams by guiding internal development teams on cloud architecture, engineering, and operational standards and ensure they are followed.
- Provide expertise for the Cloud Services and Products that include Multi-Account Provisioning, Full-Automation, Reusable core-services, etc., and help mature capabilities, while coordinating with key technology teams.
- Architect, build, and support systems in collaboration with other departments and colleagues
- Architect solutions for long term, scale, resiliency, Cost, Security, and maintainability.
- Evaluate new cloud services and features in the context of business use cases
- Work on a wide range of innovative Cloud use cases.
- Create code assets and tools to accelerate cloud projects.
- Champion Enterprise, TCO and end-to-end Mindset with a focus on reusable services that are efficient, cost-effective & secure
- Will be an automation advocate - you genuinely believe in removing operation load with software. Ability to automate manual processes and write code to expediate detection and mitigation of issues in the environment.
- Responsible for Proposals, Investment Planning, and long-term strategy for BMS
- Listen to customer needs and innovate
- Work with app dev teams to develop new cloud hosted services
- Support app dev teams using existing cloud hosted services
- Partner with service providers both internal and external to design and implement cloud data systems in the BMS cloud environment.
- Define supported Cloud Services
- Education and training of teams
- Design/Build automation tools
- Cloud data, ML, and AI system architecture and support
Educational, Professional, and Technical Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Information Technology, or commensurate experience.
- At least 10+ years of experience in cloud computing, software development and/or Cloud Center of Excellence (COE)
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership or management role
- Experience with financial planning for projects and managing a budget.
- Outstanding leadership and organizational skills
- Strong knowledge of cloud computing platforms such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
- Willingness to occasionally work in a 24x7 on-call cycle to manage escalations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (content creation such as whitepapers, architecture diagrams, etc.).
- Ability to explain complex technology concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences at all levels in the organization
- AWS Solution Architect; Associate or Professional (preferred)
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Associate
- AWS Certified DevOps Engineer; Associate or Professional a plus
- Any Azure or Google Cloud certification a plus
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.