Senior Cloud Security Architecture Analyst
Discover Your Career at Emory University
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
The Senior Cloud Security Architecture Analyst, within Emory's Enterprise Information Security team, will be primarily responsible for working with the Enterprise Security and other Emory IT teams to identify, evaluate, and implement security controls for cloud services. This will mainly include Amazon Web Services but will also encompass additional cloud provider related activities as Emory's cloud base grows. This position will support the migration and support of on-premise solutions to the cloud, and continual adoption of secure cloud services, for Emory University and Emory Healthcare.
- Strong experience in current and historically relevant security concepts, cloud security concepts, and cloud technologies.
- Progressive experience in a combination of cloud architecture, engineering, information security, and risk management roles that demonstrate expertise.
- Supervises other information security professionals as needed.
- Responsible for performing security risk assessments for cloud computing solutions, including risk identification, analysis, and evaluation, identifying remediation and/or mitigation requirements and recommendations, and handing off the associated risks to the enterprise risk register management process.
- Provides advice, guidance, and direction to those internal and external customers based on policies, published guidelines, best practices, and industry recommendations.
- Helps to ensure that information security safeguards and controls are properly communicated and adhered to.
- Assessments include various cloud platform providers, and the applications, processes, vendors, and technologies used by departments, divisions, or the enterprise in one or more of those cloud platform providers.
- In addition to conducting risk assessments, this position contributes to the identification of improvements for multiple areas, to include the risk management process and tool improvements.
- Works closely with teams across cloud engineering, enterprise information security, IT, privacy, compliance, legal, procurement, research, and numerous business units to help protect assets for the institution.
- Applies background knowledge in IT, cloud architecture and security, and/or security vendor risk assessments and continually conducts research into new technologies and vulnerabilities across the industry.
- Contributes to development of risk analysis tools and provides functional guidance and direction to internal and external customer teams in overall security risk assessments of projects.
- Provides interpretation of information security policies and requirements or their applicability.
- Performs risk assessments of client vendors through risk assessment toolkit against various frameworks (HIPAA, HITRUST, SOC, NIST, etc.), collecting data and identifying areas of compliance/non-compliance through written assessment reports.
- Assesses risk for various components of a particular solution's architecture, such as: cloud services, cloud controls, network, operating system, database, storage, application vulnerability assessments, cloud security configuration settings, virus prevention and remediation, encryption, network segmentation, remote access, and authentication.
- As a member of the Enterprise Security team, the position will also be tasked with other information security related tasks and projects as necessary.
- This position may be called upon to assist with information security activities with university or healthcare units across the enterprise.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Level: An experienced cybersecurity professional that applies advanced knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education and significant work experience.
- Exercises latitude and independence in assignments.
- Leads other team members on delegated tasks or projects.
- May represent associate director when they are unavailable.
- Requires communication with cybersecurity and IT leadership and occasional communication with senior leadership across the enterprise.
- Work activities are performed under general guideline and direction, but in close collaboration within the analyst's own team.
- A bachelor's degree and six years of related IT experience including demonstrated technical expertise in multiple information security domains, OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- A strong background in cloud computing platforms and cloud security concepts, development, deployment, and administration.
- Excellent team participation skills, as well as good written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of information security technologies, methodologies, and best practices in the domains of cloud security architecture, vulnerability identification and safeguards, data protection, cloud business continuity, and other relevant cloud security concepts, practices, and experiences.
- Significant experience with various SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS services, but especially Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Significant experience designing, maintaining, and implementing security controls and technologies in cloud environments.
- Experience with Windows and Linux systems.
- Experience conducting detailed application, system, and network vulnerability assessments and/or security configuration audits.
- Ability to work with other teams to implement security goals.
- Experience/familiarity with (AWS) cloud services frequently leveraged with security controls (e.g. VPC, IAM, Identity Center, Cognito, CloudTrail, GuardDuty, CloudWatch, Inspector, Detective, Secrets Manager, KMS, Config, Conformance Packs, Macie, etc.)
- Certifications are a plus (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, Microsoft, CompTIA, etc.).
- Security-focused certifications are strongly preferred (e.g. AWS Certified Security – Specialty, AWS Solutions Architect – Associate / Professional, Azure Security Technologies, Azure Security Engineer Associate, Azure Cybersecurity Architect Expert, GCP Cloud Security Engineer, GCP Cloud Architect, ISC2 Certified Cloud Security Professional, ISC2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional, etc.)
NOTE: Tasks related to this position can be performed remotely with only occasional visits to an Emory University location. Eastern (EST) time zone business hours may apply. Emory reserves the right to change this status with notice to employee. Emory does not approve as a primary work location in the following states; NJ, AK, and HI, any U.S. Territories or outside of the United States.
Emory Supports a Diverse and Inclusive Culture
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322.
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.