Technical Account Manager
The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $136 billion by 2027!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading developer data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB Technical Account Managers are at the forefront of technical problem solving with key customers, working on some of the most complex and exciting application ecosystems built on the MongoDB platform. TAMs combine:
- Deep product knowledge and expertise across multiple domains
- Polished technical communications
- Strong account leadership, with the ability to engage effectively at all levels of the customer
- Ability to not only proactively engage, but anticipate and preempt needs a customer may have or issues they could experience
- A high degree of ownership and willingness to go above and beyond for our customers
The TAM’s primary remit is the cultivation of customer confidence and delivery of positive, account-wide technical outcomes that solve big customer problems while showcasing the capabilities of the MongoDB product portfolio. They do this through a systematic engagement process including deep discovery and the development of a roadmap of shared objectives. They are able to operate in complex environments where there may be shared or even ambiguous responsibilities between the customer and MongoDB. The TAM is able to shift gears between enabling, coaching and mentoring, and marshaling resources to get the right things done at the right time.
The TAM also acts as the eyes and ears of the product team while working with marquee customers as they will sometimes surface new requirements or potential areas of opportunity for future development. They work closely with these teams to understand these requirements, manage expectations, and ensure MongoDB is staying one step ahead of customer needs.
This role will be an early hire into the new Technical Account Management function and will help pioneer the new service offering for MongoDB.
Successful candidates will have the flexibility to work around the schedules of customers with 100% uptime systems while enjoying the life/work balance MongoDB promotes.
We are looking to speak to candidates who are based in New York City for our hybrid working model where you’ll be expected to go 3 days a week into the office.
Why MongoDB is a fantastic place to work and build your career
- Be a part of the company that’s reinventing the database, focused on innovation and speed
- Enjoy a fun, inspiring culture that is engineering focused
- Work with exceptionally skilled people around the globe
- Learn, contribute, and make a positive impact on the product and community
Cool things you’ll do
MongoDB is on a mission to unlock the inner genius of our customers by making data stunningly easy to work with. Along the way, our customers encounter questions and issues about how our approach to databases works for their use case. In Technical Services, it's our job to help our customers succeed with MongoDB.
As a Technical Account Manager, you’ll be highly engaged with a handful of our largest customers, building key relationships with technical leaders and collaborating with them on their projects to build and scale MongoDB solutions - resolving questions and demonstrating solutions related to architecture, performance, recovery, security, and everything in between.
You'll be an expert resource on the best way to run MongoDB at scale, whatever that scale may be. You will identify deep dive opportunities to educate our customers on crucial topics of concern to them and either conduct those deep dives yourself or make timely connections between customers and subject matter experts within MongoDB.
You will also mentor and ramp new team members, and take initiatives in building knowledge of new product lines within the MongoDB ecosystem.
What you need
You should have 7+ years of relevant experience. We consider all candidates, with an eye for those who combine formal education with self-teaching, are insatiably curious, and are multi-faceted.
It’s crucial for every candidate to check these boxes:
- Fosterer of open lines of communication amongst internal stakeholders; The TAM ensures all concerned parties, including in some cases the MongoDB executive team, are well informed about accounts within the TAM’s portfolio (especially during critical or escalated situations)
- For external stakeholders: great communication and account leadership skills, with a good organizational understanding of customers and ability to calibrate communication style based on the audience
- Scale experience: The TAM must quickly understand and communicate about customer workloads, use cases, and resiliency criteria, including performance, availability, and scalability
- Product evangelism: The TAM helps customers understand how the MongoDB developer data platform is well-suited to solve a wide variety of their problems.
- Ability to work independently as well as cross-functionally to ensure customer needs are being met
- Genuine desire to help people, and to increase their confidence and good will
- Ability to cultivate strong team partnerships: Understanding of when and how to seek help from team members, skill in choosing from potentially conflicting perspectives or approaches; ability to secure commitments and lead collaborative efforts
- Problem Solver:
- Comfort thinking on your feet, solving problems in real-time, and reducing pressure and anxiety through calm, authoritative technical leadership; ability to keep your cool and project command presence during escalated situations where tensions and anxiety may be high
- Ability to design, communicate, and follow a structured approach to solving complex problems based loosely upon the scientific method
- Experience analyzing and pursuing issues holistically in the enterprise; spanning multiple technologies, customer teams and silos
- Technical Expert
- Experience building, maintaining, tuning, and troubleshooting sophisticated mission-critical production database systems
- Familiarity with modern service architectures and the implications on development teams, their structures and the development lifecycle
- Experience with the technologies and development patterns typical of a large-scale enterprise customer
- Experience using any cloud services stack such as AWS, Azure or GCP
- Develop, document, and help implement techniques, tools and procedures for optimizing MongoDB’s technical relationship with marquee customers
- Experience managing large scale databases (e.g. RDBMS, NoSQL)
- Extensive experience with mass scale application architectures
- Microservices/Serverless architectures
- CI/CD tools and approaches
- Containerization, orchestration and management tools
- Enterprise Identity platforms
- Experience using or managing MongoDB
- Experience using distributed version control systems, and in particular git
- Strong systems engineering and troubleshooting experience, including Linux performance, memory management, I/O tuning, configuration, security, networking, virtualization, clustering
- In 3 months, have gained a deep understanding of MongoDB and its ecosystem. You will complete New Hire Training
- In 6 months, be confident working frontline with our customers. You will also complete the MongoDB Certified DBA Associate exam
- In 12 months, be directly and independently engaged in technical account management, ensuring customers are successful and happy with MongoDB and see our developer data platform as the de facto standard for new projects
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.