Data Solutions Designer
At National Life Group we are in the process of changing how we think about, organize, and use data. In order to get the most value from our data, it is critical that we have timely, accurate, consistent and well-defined data throughout the organization. Success depends on strong commitment & collaboration from all areas of the organization.
As the Data Solutions Designer, your work will be critical to the success of our data transformation. You will have the opportunity to design solutions to extract value from the on premise (MS SQL, SSIS ecosystem) and Big Data platforms (MS Azure/Data bricks). You will collaborate with Data Governance, Analytics, Architecture, Infrastructure and other key stakeholders to make sure all solution designs are effective & sustainable. You will be accountable for designing all architectural patterns involving Big Data Platform, with an emphasis on integration in and out of our big data environment.
Obviously, we are looking for someone who is passionate about data. Beyond that, a successful candidate will embrace the type of work that comes with a transformative effort. They will also contribute to the culture of National Life – where servant leadership, company values & applying learnings to performance are valued above all else.
What Success Looks Like
- Defines what are the right engineering solutions for data supply chains that support on premise to cloud transformation resulting in On-premise MS SQL environment TCO Reduction.
- Build designs to enable Analytics Capabilities at scale via Big Data Cloud in support of business objectives.
- Support Data as a Service (Daas) evolution (via JSON over REST) in the Big Data Cloud to support application consumption (Salesforce, Portals, Mobile etc.)
- Build designs to enable and advance data sciences practice in NLG.
- Delivers pragmatic data solutions that meet & exceed business needs while providing tangible value.
- Ensures data engineering solutions (including ETLs, jobs etc.) are designed and constructed as per the future industry and business needs.
- Collaboration will be a key component of success, as Solution designs will need to be reviewed and approved my multiple stakeholders within business & IT.
- Hands-on experience with solution design and data architecture
- 10-15 years of working experience with major data warehousing solutions and database technology
- Experience in big data solutions
- Firm understanding of programming languages
- Expertise in ETL/ELT architecture, implementation and performance tuning of mappings, jobs, transformations
- Proven track record of designing solutions for data warehouses with a good understanding of cluster and parallel architecture as well as high-scale or distributed RDBMS and knowledge of NoSQL platforms
- Experience with Data, Big Data and Analytics architecture and ecosystem on premise, hybrid or cloud-based environments
- Deep understanding of Azure, AWS, Snowflake, DataBricks and other cloud technologies
- Experience with cloud computing and database technologies, including evaluating platform and stack architecture along with knowledge of industry best practices
- Knowledge of key Business Intelligence and Data Analytics tools, such as Tableau, PowerBI, Alteryx and others
- Experience with data profiling, lineage and metadata management techniques and tools
- Understanding of data governance, data quality and metadata management
- fundamentals and technologies
- BA or BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Management, Engineering, or equivalent work experience. Relevant advanced degree is a plus
The base compensation range represents the low and high end of the range for this position. Actual compensation will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to qualifications, skills, competencies, location, and experience. The range listed is just one component of our total compensation package for employees.
Other rewards may include an annual bonus, quarterly bonuses, commissions, and other long-term incentive compensation, depending on the position. National Life offers a competitive total rewards package which includes: a 401(k) retirement plan match; medical, dental, and vision insurance; a company funded wellness account for director and below employees; 10 paid holidays; a generous paid time off plan (22 days of combined time-off for non-exempt employees and exempt employees have discretion in managing their time, including scheduling time off in the normal course of business, but in no event will exempt employees receive less sick time than required by state or local law); 6 weeks of paid parental leave; and 6 weeks of paid family leave after a year of full-time employment
National Life Group® is a trade name of National Life Insurance Company, Montpelier, VT – founded in 1848, Life Insurance Company of the Southwest, Addison, TX – chartered in 1955, and their affiliates. Each company of National Life Group is solely responsible for its own financial condition and contractual obligations. Life Insurance Company of the Southwest is not an authorized insurer in New York and does not conduct insurance business in New York. Equity Services, Inc., Member FINRA/SIPC, is a Broker/Dealer and Registered Investment Adviser affiliate of National Life Insurance Company. All other entities are independent of the companies of National Life Group.
Fortune 1000 status is based on the consolidated financial results of all National Life Group companies.
National Life Group
1 National Life Dr
Montpelier, VT 05604
Social Media Policy