Manager, Software Engineering
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title And Summary
Manager, Software Engineering
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. Our mission is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
Mastercard Direct Services program provides access to a wide range of Mastercard’s value-added services to customers such as Issuers, Processors, or Payment Entities ranging. We help our customers to optimize revenue and control risk across all portfolios and brands.
About The Role
- Formally supervise and coach 2+ teams of engineers to build, enhance, and support multiple applications/services in the delivery of internal or market-facing Products, Platforms, or Product bundles
- Work with business/product owners to develop and deliver on new services to introduce new products and bundles
- Ensure objectives and development plans are established at the start of the year and reviewed continuously throughout the year
- Recruit and hire the right talent, always bringing in someone better than at least half the individuals in the role
- Continuously engage and improve teams’ performance by conducting recurring 1-1 meetings, knowing your people, managing career development, and understanding who is at risk
- Provide and facilitate timely feedback, coaching in the moment, and mentoring for staff at all levels
- Emulate and drive Mastercard Way behaviors through their behavior, recognitions, coaching, and employee engagement
- Manage and optimize budgets, forecasting, and cost allocation while delivering on business needs in the area of ownership
- Provide strategic thinking and leadership related to a wide range of applications and systems, or software-development methodologies
- Benchmark and drive engineering productivity, quality, and technology policy compliance in the areas of ownership
- Proactively share and seek knowledge within their Guild/Program to drive reuse of patterns/libraries/practices and enhance productivity
- IT experience with successful track record in managing small scale development organization (2+ teams) with demonstrated thought-leadership, cross-functional influence, and partnership
- Progressively grown career with proven design and development experiences in multiple languages, secure coding standards (e.g., OWASP, CWE, SEI CERT), and vulnerability management
- Experience in building complex, highly scalable, performant, secure and reliable software systems
- Experienced in event driven systems (Apache Kafka, NATS, etc)
- Proficiency in building highly scalable, highly available full-stack Java applications using modern Java EE frameworks (Spring Boot/Spring Cloud/Spring IO etc.)
- Has skills to document and coach team on the development practices and coding guidelines (e.g., branching, peer reviews, library use, logging, scanning rules, test-driven development, error handling)
- Has skills to undertake a technical review of code across applications and their dependencies to look for anti-patterns and promote continuous refactoring
- Understands and elaborates technical debt and operational issues to drive prioritization discussions with stakeholders to improve the run experience
- Understands system architecture to plan for platform and infrastructure capacity (e.g., database, compute, network, storage) and drives the dependency prioritization to reduce the delivery lead time
- Has skills to understand customer journeys and ensure a Mastercard good experience by continuously reducing Mean time to mitigate (MTTM) for incidents and ensuring high availability (99.95% as a starting point)
- Has skills to simplify deployment and eliminate software and infrastructure snowflakes using standardized platforms, ephemeral instances, and automation
- Has skills to orchestrate release workflows and pipelines and apply standardized pipelines via APIs to achieve CI and CD using industry-standard tools (e.g., Jenkins, Bamboo, AWS/Azure pipelines others)
- Understands which tools and practices to choose for intelligently automating builds, tests, and deployments where processes and applications are designed upfront with automation in mind
- BS or MS degree in computer science, engineering, or related field
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must
- Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
- Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
- Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
O'Fallon, Missouri: $137,000 - $213,000 USD