Senior Technical Support Engineer
Be Part of Building the Future
Dremio is The Easy and Open Data Lakehouse, providing self-service analytics with data warehouse functionality and data lake flexibility across all of your data. Dremio increases agility with a revolutionary data-as-code approach that adopts Git concepts to enable data experimentation, version control, and governance. In addition, Dremio breaks down data silos by simplifying ingestion into the lakehouse, and also allowing queries directly on databases and data warehouses. All of this is available through a fully managed service that not only eliminates the need to maintain infrastructure and software, but also automatically optimizes the data in the lakehouse to maximize performance for every workload.
Founded in 2015, Dremio is headquartered in Santa Clara, CA. Investors include Cisco Investments, Insight Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Norwest Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, and Sapphire Ventures. For more information, visit www.dremio.com. Connect with Dremio on GitHub, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
If you, like us, say “bring it on” to exciting challenges that really do change the world, we have endless opportunities where you can make your mark.
About The Role
As a Senior Support Engineer, you are a customer-focused team player who is passionate about solving highly technical problems and predisposed to delivering an exceptional customer experience. Drawing on your deep technical expertise, as well as exceptional communication skills, you will quickly engage with customers and provide expert help in addressing their reported problems. This is a continuous learning and teaching role where you will develop and share your knowledge of troubleshooting, configuration, and exciting new technologies, including those that are complementary to the Dremio and data/analytics ecosystem.
What You'll Be Doing
- Provide thoughtful direction and support for technical inquiries
- Manage the day-to-day aspects of support cases, incidents, and escalations
- Ensure issues have the appropriate focus and are resolved as expediently as possible
- Document and record all activity in accordance with both internal and external security standards
- Research, reproduce, troubleshoot, and solve highly challenging technical issues
- Serve as a subject-matter expert on Dremio solutions and the data/analytics ecosystem
- Participate in on-call rotation for after-hours, holiday, and weekend support coverage
- Contribute frequently answered questions to the Dremio knowledge base
What We're Looking For
- 5+ years of experience troubleshooting and resolving urgent, high-visibility technical problems
- Lifetime learner, self-motivated with the ability to multi-task during high-pressure situations
- B.S. or M.S in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent practical experience
Strong Hands-on Experience Working With Or Supporting The Following
- 5+ years of relational database fundamentals, operations, and working with complex SQL.
- Database and query performance tuning.
- Expert-level Linux command line experience
- Expert-level Java and JVM troubleshooting, e.g., collection and evaluation of application log files, jstack output, heap dumps, gc logs.
- Troubleshooting JVM performance issues
- In-depth knowledge of Cloud Service Provider technologies (AWS, Azure, GCP)
Knowledge Of The Following
- Authentication and security configuration such as LDAP, Kerberos, SSL/TLS, second priority: SSO/OAuth/OIDC
- Docker, Docker Build, Docker Hub, and other container repositories
- Kubernetes configuration and troubleshooting, including Helm charts, storage options, networking, logging, and basic kubectl CLI
- Database connectivity - ODBC/JDBC and BI Tools (Power BI, Tableau, SuperSet).
Bonus points if you have
- Cloudera/Hortonworks Hadoop operations and troubleshooting experience, including working with Zookeeper, HDFS, Hive, YARN, and related components like Cloudera Manager/Ambari, Ranger/Sentry, etc.
- Distributed Systems - vertical and horizontal scalability, reliability, and availability.
- Experience with high-availability concepts and configurations; load balancers
- Experience programming in Java
- Shell Scripting
- Python scripting
- NoSQL database experience (e.g. MongoDB, etc.)
- REST API programming
What We Offer
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Short term / long term disability and life insurance
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Flexible PTO
- 16 hours of volunteer time off
- 12 company paid holidays, including Juneteenth
- Remote work options
- Paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Biannual swag surprise
- Certain benefits are only allowed to full-time Dremio employees and may not be the same across all locations.
The base salary range for this position is $114,943 to $155,511 per year. The base salary actually offered to a successful candidate will take into account various relevant and non-discriminatory business factors including, without limitation, the candidate’s geographic location, job-related experience, knowledge, and skills, and education, as well as internal equity considerations. A successful candidate may also be eligible to earn additional compensation including commissions and/or bonuses.
What We Value
At Dremio, we hold ourselves to high standards when it comes to People, Thinking, and Action. Our Gnarlies (that's what we call our employees) communicate with clarity, drive accountability, and are respectful towards each other. We confront brutal facts and focus on results while operating with a sense of urgency and building a "flywheel". People who like to jump in and drive momentum will thrive in our #GnarlyLife.
Dremio is an equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other unlawful factor.
Dremio is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
Dremio has policies in place to protect the personal information that employees and applicants disclose to us. Please click here to review the privacy notice.