Senior Platform Engineer
The Onyx Research Data Platform organization represents a major investment by GSK R&D and Digital & Tech, designed to deliver a step-change in our ability to leverage data, knowledge, and prediction to find new medicines. We are a full-stack shop consisting of product and portfolio leadership, data engineering, infrastructure, and DevOps, data/metadata / knowledge platforms, and AI/ML and analysis platforms, all geared toward:
- Building a next-generation data experience for GSK’s scientists, engineers, and decision-makers, increasing productivity and reducing time spent on “data mechanics”
- Providing best-in-class AI/ML and data analysis environments to accelerate our predictive capabilities and attract top-tier talent
- Aggressively engineering our data at scale to unlock the value of our combined data assets and predictions in real-time
A Senior Engineer is a leading technical contributor who can consistently take a poorly defined business or technical problem, work it to a well-defined problem/specification, and execute on it at a high level. They have a strong focus on metrics, both for the impact of their work and for its inner workings/operations. They are a model for the team on best practices for software development in general (and their specialization in particular), including code quality, documentation, DevOps practices, and testing, and consistently mentor junior members of the team. They ensure the robustness of our services and serve as an escalation point in the operation of existing services, pipelines, and workflows.
A Senior Engineer should be deeply familiar with the tools of their specialization and of their customers and engaged with the open source community surrounding them – potentially, even to the level of contributing pull requests.
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of scalable APIs that meet the requirements of internal and external stakeholders. Ensure APIs are secure, efficient, and user-friendly, following industry best practices and standards.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify API requirements and provide technical guidance. Integrate APIs with systems and platforms for seamless data exchange and enhanced system functionality.
- Produces well-engineered software, including appropriate automated test suites, technical documentation, and operational strategy.
- Diverse problem solver who surfaces opportunities to reuse modular code and develop microservices to drive efficiencies.
- Provides input into the roadmaps of teams representing upstream dependencies to help improve the overall program of work.
- Ensure consistent application of platform abstractions to ensure quality and consistency with respect to logging and lineage.
- Fully versed in coding best practices and ways of working and participates in code reviews and partnering to improve the team’s standards.
- Adhere to QMS framework and CI/CD best practices and helps to guide improvements to them that improve ways of working.
- Stay updated on emerging API technologies, trends, and best practices. Identify areas for improvement in API architecture, performance, and development. Mentor and guide junior engineers, supporting their growth.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related discipline.
- Cloud experience (e.g., AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, Kubernetes), including infrastructure-as-code
- Application experience of CI/CD implementations using git and a common CI/CD stack (e.g. Jenkins, CircleCI, GitLab, Azure DevOps)
- Experience of security practices, standards, and protocols related to API development
- Experience with one common programming language: e.g., Python, Scala, Java, including toolchains for documentation, testing, and operations/observability.
- Experience with API management platforms and tools (e.g., Apigee, AWS API Gateway, Postman).
- Experience in modern software development tools/ways of working (e.g. git/GitHub, devops tools, metrics / monitoring, …) designing and developing APIs.
- API design principles, protocols, and tools (REST, GraphQL, Swagger, etc.).
If you have some of the following characteristics, it would be a plus
- Masters or Phd in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related discipline.
- Experience with data modeling, particularly involving the use of semantic data and ontologies/taxonomies/business data.
- Experience architecting, building, or managing components of an ontology or/and metadata platform.
- Deep experience supporting industry standard big data technologies e.g., Spark, BigQuery, Cassandra, Kafka, HDFS, Snowflake
- Experience with event-driven architectures and implementing event hooks/triggers in API systems. Familiarity with webhooks, message queues, and pub/sub systems. Ability to design API integrations that enable real-time data updates and notifications.
- Optional NLP experience (named entity recognition, text classification). Familiarity with mass tagging, document evaluation methodologies. Apply NLP techniques to API development for advanced text processing, automated document evaluations, and natural language search.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
GSK offers a competitive compensation package inclusive of the following: Competitive base salary, annual bonus based on company performance, access to healthcare and wellbeing programs, retirement savings program, paid time off, and employee recognition programs which reward exceptional achievements. The salary range for this role is: $145,877 to $197,363GSK offers a competitive compensation package inclusive of the following: Competitive base salary, annual bonus based on company performance, access to healthcare and wellbeing programs, retirement savings program, paid time off, and employee recognition programs which reward exceptional achievements. The salary range for this role is: $145,877 to $197,363
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to positively impact the health of 2.5 billion people by the end of 2030.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.