Sr Data Operations Engineer
Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com.
It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
The Sr Data Operations Engineer will have deep, focused, and varied experience specifically with supporting production Cockroach database environments. This employee will plan, coordinate, and administer Cockroach databases in an environment that requires deep hands-on development, design, and implementation with an end goal being a fully automated environment using Ansible. This position will lead the deployment of Cockroach database in support of a major greenfield software development project and manage the transition into a sustainable support structure.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a part of a cross-functional IT team, the Sr Data Operations Engineer will create and maintain all databases required for development, testing, and production usage.
- Performs capacity planning required to create and maintain CRDBs. The Sr Data Operations Engineer works closely with System Administration Engineers to build capacity plans.
- Performs ongoing tuning of all CRDBs.
- Installs new versions of Cockroach and its tools.
- Patches Cockroach on a consistent cycle.
- Plans and implements backup and recovery for Cockroach databases.
- Implements and enforces security for all Cockroach databases.
- Use knowledge of Cockroach internals to help develop and implement application design and coding use of the database.
- Provide technical support to the application development team.
- Automation of database related activities using Ansible.
- Train other Data Operations Engineers as a Cockroach SME.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.)
- BS/BA in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 5 to 7 years of deep experience in Cockroach Database Administration and design.
- Hands-on, production support experience with troubleshooting Cockroach database issues.
- Working knowledge of Oracle Database Administration.
- Hands-on experience with migration of data cross database platforms.
- Working knowledge of incident and service management. ITIL certification a plus.
- Must be willing to work occasional on call weekday/weekend schedule.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The ability to seamlessly work with application developers, other strong technical leaders, and non-technical staff.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Strategic and creative thinking to analyze issues that may arise and create solutions.
- Ability to respond positively to feedback and implement change in process and procedures as needed.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and other cloud related database concepts.
- Experience with Datadog use and monitoring design.
- Experience with using Gitlab to manage code.
- Linux and Windows operating system understanding to setup and tune tools.
- Ability and desire to self-train on infrastructure topics that arise in a dynamic environment.
- Desire and ability to create documented processes, procedures and knowledge documents for a variety of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Extremely strong written and verbal skills. Documentation will be a large part of the job.
- Desire and flexibility to be on-call to support customers at varying contractual agreement levels.
Physical Demands: (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
Work Environment: (The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.)
- The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment.
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.