Public Sector – Education: Data & Technology Consultant
Since 2003, Alvarez & Marsal Public Sector Services (PSS) has helped government, education, and non-profit clients identify new ways to overcome challenges and implement sustainable change — pioneering a progressive, pragmatic, and forward-looking approach based on our experience applying operational and financial improvement principles in the private sector to address the unique challenges facing public sector organizations. Our Public Sector Education Practice (PSE) works to help clients realize responsible and effective use of limited financial resources to drive improved life opportunities while harnessing innovative solutions to transform organizations and support the goal of student achievement.
Individually, we are technologists, data scientists, and operations leaders with deep industry experience. Together we work to unlock the potential of students and lifelong learners by generating equitable and effective education processes, delivered with maximum efficiency, empowered by the best in human and technological innovation. With a commitment to positive social impact, we foster a vibrant, inclusive workplace of diverse voices and talents who enjoy what they do, and with whom they do it.
We are seeking Education Data and Technology Consultants to provide expert guidance and support to educational institutions, philanthropic organizations, and organizations seeking to implement and leverage data and technology to improve student learning outcomes.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong knowledge and experience in education data systems as a product leader, technology strategist, technologist, researcher or consultant at education data focused organizations such as State SLDS / Data Agencies, Research or Consulting firms, or other entities leveraging data to improve education outcomes. The experience must span a spectrum of education analytics products, visualizations and enabling technologies, educational software, and a good grasp of challenges and opportunities in education systems that could be addressed through data.
This is a hybrid role spanning remote, client, and in-office work locations and requires occasional travel.
Work in a collaborative environment with teams across A&M and within Public Sector to drive clients’ data and technology modernization in the Education industry.
- Work closely with education and philanthropic leaders, teachers, and other stakeholders to understand their needs and challenges in leveraging data and technology to improve teaching and learning outcomes
- Participate in client discussions, interact with CxOs, executives and Program teams at client organization to articulate the value of data products, help define data products roadmaps and analytics technology options across spectrum of foundational reporting to advanced machine learning models and AI
- Guide client through design and implementation of data products solutions including building proof-of-concept for emerging technology or concepts
- Research and stay current on emerging trends and best practices in education technology and data management, and make recommendations to education leaders on their adoption and implementation
- Collaborate with technology vendors and partners to assess and select appropriate technology tools and platforms to support analysis, teaching and learning goals
- Mentor, lead and develop junior staff, including performance appraisals and career pathing
- Quickly ascertain client needs, scope work effort or contribute to SOW build out, assemble teams, manage delivery, and articulate findings to client executives
- Lead or participate in engagements to ensure successful delivery while balancing internal practice initiatives
Qualifications / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree – preferably in data science, computer science, information technology, business, education, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience working with data analytics products and technology for education organizations: data products design, defining product requirements, and analytics technology implementation
- Experience with SQL, NoSQL and BigData cloud services on leading public cloud vendors e.g., Azure, AWS or GCP
- Experience with Business Intelligence and analytics visualization tools e.g., PowerBi, Tableau, Looker and other
- Knowledge of education data and research, including knowledge of state and federal education policies and regulations
- Familiarity with education technology tools and platforms, including learning management systems, student information systems, and educational software applications
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, with the ability to develop and implement solutions to complex challenges
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to clearly articulate findings and present solutions to a range of stakeholders, including education leaders, teachers, students, and technology vendors
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Excellent team-oriented and interpersonal skills, with a strong interest in consulting
- Ability to perform in an individual contributor role while also excelling as a leader in a team environment
- Willing to travel up to 100% based on client needs
- Experience building machine learning and AI models through Python, R or other similar technology
- Experience developing education analytics product strategy
- Experience conceptualizing and operationalizing large-complex initiatives
- Experience in education data analytics consultancy
- Experience building data visualization with user centered design
- Experience with cloud computing environments and services pertaining to data analytics, including as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with the software product development lifecycle and methodologies
- Strong understanding of student data policy and privacy solutions
- Strong understanding of education data systems, data governance, and data management practices spanning early learning, PK-12, Postsecondary, and Workforce sectors, including knowledge of state and federal education policies and regulations
- Knowledge of other programming languages such as Java, Matlab, SAS, C++
- Knowledge of web application frameworks and integration technologies
- Knowledge of user experience design
- Professional work experience in product management, data science or advanced analytics / statistics platform development and use
- 3+ years of leadership experience driving large-complex initiatives ideally related to education data
The following are the annual base salary ranges, commensurate with experience: Manager: $135,000-$165,000; Director: $150,000-$205,000; Senior Director: $175,000-$245,000. In addition, A&M offers a discretionary bonus program which is based on a number of factors, including individual and firm performance. Please ask your recruiter for details.
Diversity & Inclusion
A&M’s entrepreneurial culture celebrates independent thinkers and doers who can positively impact our clients and shape our industry. The collaborative environment and engaging work—guided by A&M’s core values of Integrity, Quality, Objectivity, Fun, Personal Reward, and Inclusive Diversity—are the main reasons our people love working at A&M. Inclusive Diversity means we embrace diversity, and we foster inclusiveness, encouraging everyone to bring their whole self to work each day. It runs through how we recruit, develop employees, conduct business, support clients, and partner with vendors. It is the A&M way.
It is Alvarez & Marsal’s practice to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, pregnancy, marital status, family status, religion, national origin, age or disability or any other non-merit based factor or any other characteristics in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per A&M policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters are engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening and in alignment with our Inclusive Diversity values. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that A&M will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.