At Ascensus, technology is more than just a solution. It powers the business that helps millions of people save for what matters—retirement, education, and healthcare. Our technology experts tackle exciting challenges in collaborative teams, but work in an environment where individual and career development is always valued. Technology associates leverage their talents and passion, building new and innovative platforms, creating programs founded in automation in agile frameworks, and driving existing and new markets—all of which supports the rapid growth of a dynamic industry leader.
- This position can be remote anywhere within the United States
The Application Architect role is positioned between the Program Architect and the Software Development Lead and is responsible for providing technical direction and oversight across scrum teams within a program. Works closely with the Program Architect to understand business needs and identifies technical solutions. Collaborates with other Program Architects and Application architects to promote innovation, reusability, stability, scalability, and consistency across programs. Provides technical direction for scrum teams for specific initiatives and assists with initial proof of concepts and template builds. Provides ongoing technical oversight and mentoring across scrum teams to ensure they are progressing in accordance with established architecture direction. Participates as an individual contributor on scrum teams, especially for more complex design and development tasks. Researches new technologies and tools to remain abreast of current and emerging technologies, and to introduce new opportunities for innovation. Passionate about quality and continuous delivery.
Section 2: Job Functions, Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Relies on extensive experience and sound judgment to prioritize personal workload and engagement with teams
- Sets technical direction and provides ongoing, regular oversight to scrum teams to ensure solutions are secure, scalable, efficient, and stable
- Leads, coaches, and mentors technical staff
- Establishes standards, proofs of concept, and templates to enable teams to rapidly produce high quality software
- Participates in project discussions to remove technical impediments, and assists in establishing estimates
- Performs design and development tasks as an active contributor to the project pipeline
- Collaborates with other Application Architects and Program Architects to identify, socialize, and confirm the best possible solutions
- Holds a high degree of responsibility for application architecture and technical execution within a program
- Takes ownership and provides technical leadership when production issues arise requiring software engineering expertise
- Responsible for protecting, securing, and proper handling of all confidential data held by Ascensus to ensure against unauthorized access, improper transmission, and/or unapproved disclosure of information that could result in harm to Ascensus or our clients.
- Our I-Client service philosophy and our Core Values of People Matter, Quality First and Integrity Always® should be visible in your actions on a day to day basis showing your support of our organizational culture.
- Assist with other tasks and projects as assigned
- While this position is not responsible for direct reports, there will be Leadership, mentoring, and coaching opportunities.
Section 3: Experience, Skills, Knowledge Requirements
- Minimum 8 years of Software Engineering experience with a minimum of 2 years in a lead role
- Expert in Java
- Expert in Spring Boot
- Passion for leadership, mentoring, and coaching to help others succeed
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills with ability to explain and influence architectural direction
- Excellent technical skills with deep knowledge of development technologies and tools
- Excels in a results focused organization
- Experience with Agile/Scrum, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, and related tools
- Expertise with server configuration, pipeline automation, and software engineering practices
- Possesses an innovative and change-oriented personality that balances well with practical need and delivery
- Experience with multiple database platforms: Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and others
- Strong knowledge of database stored procedures
- Strong knowledge of ANSI SQL
- Understanding of SOA and distributed computing
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD) practices with an automated testing framework
- Strong trouble shooting skills
- Expert in using Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA
Nice To Have Skills
- Experience with Container technology
- Experience with networking, load balancing, clustering
- Experience with cloud development, preferably AWS
- Experience with JBoss and plus
The national average salary range for this role is $95k-230k in base pay, exclusive of any bonuses and benefits. This base salary range represents the low and high end of the salary range for this position. Actual salary offered will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, performance, and internal pay alignment. We do not anticipate that candidates hired will begin at the top of the range however, from time to time, it may occur on a case-by-case basis. Other rewards and benefits may include: 401(k) match, Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid-Time-Off, etc. For more information, please visit careers.ascensus.com/#Benefits.