Data Engineering Executive
Let’s do something that really matters.
At USAA, we have an important mission: facilitating the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. Not all of our employees served in our nation’s military, but we all share in the mission to give back to those who did. We’re working as one to build a great experience and make a real impact for our members.
We believe in our core values of honesty, integrity, loyalty and service. They’re what guides everything we do – from how we treat our members to how we treat each other. Come be a part of what makes us so special!
We are seeking a dedicated Data Engineering executive for our Property and Casualty Insurance company to plan, coordinate, and supervise all activities related to the design, development, and implementation and maintenance of the organization's applications development and analysis function. This leader will drive systems modernization and delivery for data and analytics across the organization. Manages multiple development teams often supporting one or more lines of business or business functional areas. Works closely with clients in order to map and support their operational needs. Responsible for developing, distributing, supporting, enforcing, and integrating best practices and technology standards across the organization, including ensuring all Information Technology General Controls, Processes and Procedures are followed as applicable and appropriate.
Priority will be given to candidates who can be based in one of our following office locations: San Antonio, TX, Plano, TX, Phoenix, AZ, or Charlotte, NC. Consideration may be given to highly qualified candidates who live remotely and can travel frequently to our home office in San Antonio.
What You’ll Do
- Performs workload management and prioritization duties in support of operations for the functional area assigned.
- Applies subject-matter-expert functional knowledge to lead subordinate workers in producing work deliverables in support of departmental initiatives.
- Develops functional policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Identifies opportunities and facilitates major improvements to processes and systems.
- Ensures that the assigned application group develops processes and tools that contribute to the company business objectives.
- Ensures that all application processes developed internally or by external service providers are conducted in line with corporate social responsibility, environmental and technical policies and applicable standards and legislation.
- Oversees the assessment of the technical and business fitness of the application portfolio and their associated costs and risks
- In partnership with CTO, Infrastructure and IT Security, ensures that the organization's applications are effectively secured and that risks are mitigated and comply with legal and corporate privacy and confidentiality rules.
- Establishes management routines to ensure appropriate oversight of the organization’s software development and maintenance activities.
- Serves as financial steward for the organization and manages relationships with major vendors and service providers to ensure they cost-effectively meet the needs of the organization.
- Evaluates and selects third party vendors to provide value added services. Facilitates the contracting process through the Third-Party Risk Management (TPRM) enterprise process.
- Responsible for contract company/service performance providing timely feedback to ensure the best value for USAA.
- Collaborates with CTO to ensure that solutions are consistent with technology standards.
- Works across IT and business partners to reduce technical debt.
- Collaborates with other leaders and/or stakeholders and develop an application development strategy that aligns with business strategy, adds value and is within budget constraints.
- Responsible for team’s adherence to SDLC SDLC and applicable controls.
- Works to ensure teams have appropriate, development plans consistent with domain of expertise.
- Mentors across the technical community.
- Provides oversight to the engagement with the business DPO and ensures deliverables adhere to Agile practices/methodologies.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled in accordance with risk and compliance policies and procedures.
What You Have
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer information systems or related field of study OR 4 years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- 10+ years of experience of general IT management competencies.
- 4+ years of people leadership experience in building, managing and/or developing impactful teams required.
- Strong technical background of web-based application architecture, system and database architecture, security application integration and object-oriented languages in a large enterprise environment.
- Extensive experience in all stages of the software development life cycle: requirements gathering, design, development, testing, and implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Experience collaborating with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals required.
- Demonstrated experience in vendor contract management and management of distributed development teams and resources.
- Demonstrated financial acumen involving budgets, forecasting, and executing on the budgets for applicable technology support function.
- Understanding of relevant industry frameworks, i.e. COBIT, ITIL, SAFe, etc.
- Understanding of Legislative and Regulatory Compliance Requirements.
- Experience overseeing the technology life cycle from requirements analysis, feasibility estimates, design, code, documentation, testing, implementation, and support.
- Technical knowledge and understanding of technical domains that reside within Infrastructure Services, Security, Data or Application Development.
- Experience conducting cost benefit analyses and leveraging results to drive technology support solutions.
- Demonstrated thought leadership in embedding intuitive story telling of technology support functions including concise presentation of complex technical details.
- Experience and ability to drive a culture of quality and personal accountability through technology support teams.
What Sets You Apart
- Strong working knowledge of the Property & Casualty Insurance business lifecycle.
- Demonstrated expertise leading large data engineering teams, including accomplishments in both strategy and execution.
- Significant experience leading large-scale modernization initiatives.
- Expertise in Guidewire, public cloud (especially AWS), Snowflake and DBT.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $ 180,500.00- 325,000.00.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Long Term Incentive Plan: Cash payment for Executive level roles only, representing a cash payment which is both time and performance based.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
For more details on our outstanding benefits, please visit our benefits page on USAAjobs.com.
USAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.