Cloud Technical Project Manager
Are you curious and compelled to seek knowledge? Join an organization whose adventures drive autonomy, exploration, and change the world!
At PNNL, our work is more than a job - it's a mission: To consult. To invent. To collaborate. To design. To build. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things others never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in the transformation of sponsor capabilities by managing projects leveraging cloud, high-performance computing, and edge? If so, let’s talk.
The Computing and Information Technology Directorate works to re-imagine how digital technologies can simplify the research experience, enable data-driven insights for decision makers, and accelerate PNNL’s research missions. CIT helps connect staff to systems while enabling a broader research computing ecosystem to improve productivity and provide a sense of community. The Computing and Information Technology Division (CITD) and the Chief Digital Officer (CDO) owns PNNL’s technical IT/OT strategy and provides the tools, data, devices, and infrastructure that PNNLers use to do their jobs every day. We partner with the research divisions to drive innovation and mission enablement while pushing the latest commercial offerings to creatively solve new problems in novel ways. We lead with design to drive simplicity and ease of use, engineering the systems that run the business, and innovating to transform our sponsor's business.
Core to the CDO’s charter is developing and advancing the Center for Cloud Computing (C3) which drives technology incubation and innovation to advance the state of the art and catalyze growth opportunities for PNNL and our partners. We collaborate across the Department of Energy (DOE) and federal R&D community to define and accelerate the Center’s technology strategy and engage externally with select partners, sectors, and communities to co-create the future of cloud computing technology for the DOE mission and enterprise. C3 is instrumental in fostering the design, development, and building of next-generation solutions and ahead-of-roadmap major product features in partnership with PNNL R&D business units, sponsors, and technology partners.
We’re hiring a Cloud Solutions Technical Project Manager to help our customers and sponsors advance their mission in ways never thought possible. The preferred candidate is a senior project manager who brings deep experience and strategic insight for leading development teams in solutions that have complex cloud architectures, design, and development to client-facing solutions. We are looking for someone who can work closely with our sponsors to define the need, elicit requirements, and influence the organization when change is required. The role will act as the sponsor representative in working with the highly skilled research and engineering staff to develop and execute sophisticated solutions. The ideal candidate enjoys working in a highly collaborative team-based environment, conceptualizing, developing, communicating, and proposing solutions that will enable target results. This position will be instrumental in defining strategies for “First of a Kind” projects that is rooted in a deep understanding of the project needs, operational landscape, and technical restrictions.
In this role, you will fill a vital capacity to help advance the technical solutions of our sponsors, while using your expert knowledge of project management in cloud efforts. You’ll provide clarity, promote excellent communication and collaboration, drive implementation of compelling solutions. As a leader, you will be a catalyst for change.
- Analytical and creative - you like thinking outside the box to come up with smart solutions to new challenges, and you embrace the opportunity to live in the gray.
- Decisive - you have a sense of urgency and the ability to manage a diverse group of technical people.
- Strong Communicator - your speaking and writing skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others in rapidly evolving situations.
- Organized and Confident - you are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously while confidently interacting with individuals across all levels of the organization.
- Motivated - you invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- Solution-Oriented Team Player - you are united with teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Provide technical project management leadership to transformational projects – leading efforts that are solving sponsor’s mission-critical use cases from proof of concept to production operations.
- Develop a deep understanding of the sponsor needs and challenges that enables you to act as their voice with the development teams and shape the solutions.
- Partner with our operations team to advance our cloud offerings and capabilities to meet our sponsor needs.
- Use project experience and opportunities to advance our cloud strategy and understanding of sponsor requirements.
- Guide application teams to optimize their solution delivery cloud best practices and enterprise standards.
- BS/BA and 7+ years of relevant work experience -OR-
- MS/MA and 5+ years of relevant work experience -OR-
- PhD with 3+ year of relevant experience
- BS/BA or MS/MA degree (Computer Science or Engineering)
- At least 4+ years of project leadership in cloud solution design and cloud infrastructure/migration.
- Experience facilitating discussions with senior leadership regarding technical/architectural trade-offs, best practices, and risk mitigation.
- Direct hands-on experience leading the design, development, and deployment of cloud solutions at scale or current hands-on technology infrastructure, network, compute, storage, and virtualization experience.
- Deep familiarity with Cloud and Cloud-Native Principles, including hands-on experience with cloud services (Azure, AWS, GCP).
- Experience in security compliance and design for complex applications, distributed systems, APIs, and services deployed to the cloud environments including identity and access, network, vulnerability, and change management.
- Strong track record of Technical Project Management leading development teams in designing, building, and deploying solutions that leverage cloud services.
- Keen ability to think strategically about business, mission, and science challenges and apply best-fit cloud technology solutions to hard problems in these domains.
- Strong software development experience and familiarity with agile software engineering best practices .
- Expert knowledge of Cloud Security requirements, technologies & practices.
- Experience managing and migrating workloads to the Public Cloud.
- Solid understanding of cloud infrastructure components (network, compute, storage, load balancers) and how applications should best leverage each.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, analytical, communication, and technical skills are essential. Ability to build and maintain customer relationships, be a strong team player, and work both as a member of cross-functional teams as well as independently.
- Ability to manage ambiguous or competing requirements, collaborating with project teams to align on solutions, meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities.
- Familiarity driving cloud optimization with a focus on balancing costs with business priorities.
Hazardous Working Conditions/Environment
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance. Requirements:
- U.S. Citizenship
- Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
- Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 months can be demonstrated.
Testing Designated Position
This is a Testing Designated Position.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a world-class research institution powered by a highly educated, diverse workforce committed to the values of Integrity, Creativity, Collaboration, Impact, and Courage. Every year, scores of dynamic, driven people come to PNNL to work with renowned researchers on meaningful science, innovations and outcomes for the U.S. Department of Energy and other sponsors; here is your chance to be one of them!
At PNNL, you will find an exciting research environment and excellent benefits including health insurance, flexible work schedules and telework options. PNNL is located in eastern Washington State—the dry side of Washington known for its stellar outdoor recreation and affordable cost of living. The Lab’s campus is only a 45-minute flight (or ~3-hour drive) from Seattle or Portland, and is serviced by the convenient PSC airport, connected to 8 major hubs.
Commitment to Excellence, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Equal Employment Opportunity
Our laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment dedicated to solving critical challenges in fundamental sciences, national security, and energy resiliency. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. In support of this commitment, we encourage people of all racial/ethnic identities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), protected veteran status, and any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local laws.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures and in employment. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Drug Free Workplace
PNNL is committed to a drug-free workplace supported by Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) and complies with federal laws prohibiting the possession and use of illegal drugs.
If you are offered employment at PNNL, you must pass a drug test prior to commencing employment. PNNL complies with federal law regarding illegal drug use. Under federal law, marijuana remains an illegal drug. If you test positive for any illegal controlled substance, including marijuana, your offer of employment will be withdrawn.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from having any affiliation with the foreign government of a country DOE has identified as a “country of risk” without explicit approval by DOE and Battelle. If you are offered a position at PNNL and currently have any affiliation with the government of one of these countries, you will be required to disclose this information and recuse yourself of that affiliation or receive approval from DOE and Battelle prior to your first day of employment.
Employees and their families are offered medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, health savings account, flexible spending accounts, basic life insurance, disability insurance*, employee assistance program, business travel insurance, tuition assistance, supplemental parental bonding leave**, surrogacy and adoption assistance, and fertility support. Employees are automatically enrolled in our company funded pension plan* and may enroll in our 401k savings plan. Employees may accrue up to 120 vacation hours per year and may receive ten paid holidays per year.
- Research Associates excluded.
- Once eligibility requirements are met.