SENIOR CLOUD OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (REMOTE WITHIN CA) - 58259
For UCOP internal applicants, please login to the internal candidate gateway at: Jobs at UCOP
UC OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
At the University of California (UC), your contributions make a difference. A world leader producing Nobel and Pulitzer prize recipients with over 150 years of groundbreaking research transforming the world. Choose a career where you can leverage your knowledge, skills and aspirations to inspire and support some of the greatest minds in the world, and those who will follow in their footsteps. Working at the University of California is being part of a unique institution, and a vibrant and diverse community. At the University of California, Office of the President, we propel our mission through impactful work locally, in government centers and systemwide. We are passionate people, serving the greater good.
The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the headquarters to the 10 campuses, six academic medical centers and three national laboratories and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world. Learn more about the UC Office of the President
As a security first organization, Technology Delivery Services (TDS) is part of the Information Technology (IT) Department. The TDS teams include Information Security, Planning (architecture and PMO), Application Development, HR & Payroll Development, Infrastructure, and Client Services teams. We maintain an innovative, inclusive, and supportive work environment.
The UCOP Infrastructure Operations team is growing and searching for an energetic, self-starter to serve in a new Cloud Operations Specialist role. This position will play a primary role in the support and optimization of UCOP's Windows OS hosts residing in AWS and on-premise in our San Diego datacenter.
The Sr. Cloud Operations Specialist will provide oversight, operational support and maintenance of all the system components systems hosted in AWS and on-prem systems. The ideal candidate will also assist in growing and developing AWS expertise within the Infrastructure Operations team as we move our on-prem environment into the AWS cloud space. The ideal candidate will have significant Windows Server Administration experience, SCCM, Microsoft AD experience, and AWS cloud experience. The position requires a background rooted in customer service, extensive collaboration with cross functional teams, and excellent time management skills.
50% Responsible for system performance analysis, tuning, OS patching and capacity planning efforts across UCOP’s systems residing on-premise and in AWS. Investigate, analyze, test and make recommendations regarding technology improvements, best practices, standardization, scaling, upgrades, cost optimizations and modifications to the infrastructure and cloud services to help realize cloud benefits. Perform complex analysis to acquire, install, modify, and support operating systems, software, databases, scripts, utilities, tools, and security standards. Must stay current on updates to AWS service offerings in order to recommend the best solutions.
20% Perform detailed analysis of unit and user needs, documentation of requirements, risk assessment and translation into proper system and process requirement specifications. Standardize and improve scalability, stability, efficiency, costs, and security for all aspects of UCOP’s systems hosted in AWS.
20% Utilize excellent interpersonal skills sufficient to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Elicit, communicate, present, and train technical and non- technical team members with information in a clear and concise manner.
10% Understand and apply industry, community, department and unit practices, standards, policies and procedures in depth. May serve as technical lead for a team of IT professionals working on multiple projects of moderate to broad scope.
- Min 8 years of experience in a related IT role.
Skills And Abilities
- Significant, hands-on experience and an understanding of best practices of Windows Server Administration, VMware, SCCM and Active Directory, experience with AWS (or Azure) cloud services, focusing on hosts, storage and security. (i.e. EC2, S3, Security Groups). Experience with Terreform and git for cloud deployments and some experience with Cloud migrations.
- Ability to learn new technical skills/services quickly through comprehensive research and analysis and the ability to produce clear and concise recommendations and guidance.
- Advanced knowledge of business and process analysis functions.
- Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to address cross functional team business needs.
- Works independently, as part of a team, or collaboratively with team members and maintains cooperative environment fostering continuous teaching and learning while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels of the organization as well as executive-level management.
- Experience with AWS cloud services.
- Disaster Recovery practices and planning experience.
- Experience with Rubrik, Datadog monitoring, netapp, and AWS Code Pipelines
- Knowledge of AWS Systems Manager and Cloud OpsWorks (Puppet) or Ansible.
- Previous experience in a role managing or designing centralized technology services that meets the needs of cross-functional teams across enterprise application solutions, preferably in higher education environment.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
Licenses and Certifications
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate or Professional.
Systems Administrator 4
$140,000 - $163,000
Full Salary Range:
$105,500 - $200,700
The University of California, Office of the President, is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience. The full salary range shows the growth potential for this position and the pay scale is the budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position.
How To Apply
Please be prepared to attach a cover letter and resume with your application.
Applicants who wish to work fully remote from within CA, hybrid, or onsite will be considered. Must reside in California (or be willing to relocate within 12 months).
APPLICATION REVIEW DATE
The first review date for this job is (9/15/2023) . The position will be open until filled.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Background Check Process: Successful completion of a background check is required for this critical position. Background check process at UCOP
Smoke Free Work Environment: The University of California, Office of the President, is smoke & tobacco-free as of January 1, 2014. UC Smoke & Tobacco Free Policy
August 2021 Update: The University of California has issued a policy requiring employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID -19 before physically accessing the University location or programs. Upon hire into a UCOP position, you will be provided detailed instructions on how to comply with this policy including access to the COVID vaccination at no cost. New hires to UCOP who work onsite or will come onsite for any activities at a UCOP or other UC location must comply with this policy within 8 weeks after their start date. The policy allows for employees to request approval for an exception or deferral. UC COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
The University of California, Office of the President, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. EEO/AA Employer UC Nondiscrimination Policy
The University of California, Office of the President, strives to make this job board accessible to any and all users. If you have comments regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at: Accessibility or email the Human Resource Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org .