Sr Domain Engineer - CI/CD (Hybrid)
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE).
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America’s best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry’s most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region’s largest employers, we’re always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best. Learn more about benefits HERE.
Diversity and inclusion are core values of SDG&E. Empowering our employees to be their whole selves at work is our competitive advantage. This is where new ideas come from and meaningful collaboration gets an authentic start. By bringing together people with different perspectives, diverse backgrounds and real commitment to their own individuality, we have built a stronger business. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion HERE.
For more information, visit SDGEnews.com or connect with SDG&E on Twitter (@SDGE), Instagram (@SDGE) and Facebook.
The Senior Domain Engineer - Cloud leads design, planning, management, maintenance and support for Cloud-based systems, platforms, and/or applications. Leveraging a Cloud-first mindset, drives continuous innovation and improvement in Company's Cloud Environment, leveraging DevSecOps practices to build, run, and maintain critical applications in the Cloud, leveraging the innersource model of collaboration. Handles complex long-term initiatives in their area of expertise. Collaborates with multiple teams and stakeholders to recommend, develop, and deploy Cloud capabilities for the future needs of the organization.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Drives development, testing, and implementation of software programs utilizing programming languages. Installs, configures, tests, maintains, monitors and troubleshoots server software across Cloud platforms including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS), ensuring solutions are high performance, fault-tolerant, secure and scalable. Leads creation of processes and templates for implementations, including documentation for services and applications as needed. Consults with product teams on engineering and operational topics relevant to services.
- Conducts analysis, diagnosis and repair of complex infrastructure and application problems such as connectivity, portability, scalability, resilience, and/or adherence with recommended cloud architecture guardrails, ensuring adequate performance and capacity management. Leads triage and issue resolution for complex areas related to Cloud operations. Drives the adoption of automated solutions for maintenance and support of technologies, implementing strategies for continuous improvement throughout the application release cycle. Provides operational support and maintenance for technology and systems related to services that they own. Provides input into the Technology Lifecycle Roadmap through ongoing discovery, analysis, and assessment.
- Drives the selection of Cloud-based services to meet performance needs for high availability, resiliency and automation. Analyzes new technology to identify and mitigate risks. Plans complex enhancements, taking into account dependencies and ensuring adherence to corporate standards and security policies. Partners with architects to ensure adherence to overall architecture and design standards. Contributes to development of a self-service model for platforms and technology services that empowers development teams and drives efficiency.
- Participates in the scrum ceremonies (i.e., The 5 ceremonies involved in Scrum methodology: daily stand up, sprint planning, backlog refinement, demos, and retrospectives), acts as a domain subject matter expert and informs sprint planning. Sprint planning is the initial planning event that begins a sprint and defines what can be delivered in a sprint. A domain is an organized set of components based on technology, business, or organizational similarities typically with significant technology trends impacting its environment (e.g. Cloud, Cybersecurity). Actively supports product teams in writing user stories (i.e., units of work that are delivered within a sprint - typically captured with a specific format including acceptance criteria to determine when the story can be accepted as done). Defines user story acceptance criteria where domain is applicable.
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor's Degree Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering, related field or equivalent training and/or experience.
- 5 years - related experience working in IT solution delivery and/or IT infrastructure, with experience in systems planning, building, and troubleshooting or working in software engineering developing applications and solutions.
- 3 years - experience working with Cloud technology, with experience in planning, building, and troubleshooting Cloud-based platforms, technology systems, and/or applications.
- Relevant Cloud Certifications: One or more Developer certifications from Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or equivalent certification or training.
- Cloud Delivery - Familiarity with different cloud computing delivery models, knowledge of cloud-based solutions for Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS), and ability to deliver cloud-based technologies and systems.
- Cloud Delivery Familiarity with different cloud computing delivery models, knowledge of cloud-based solutions for Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS), and ability to deliver cloud-based technologies and systems.
- Cloud Engineering - Ability to deliver highly scalable software in the cloud, design for resiliency and redundancy, and leverage expertise in relevant design, processes and techniques to develop and plan server architecture for cloud infrastructure including components such as cloud management, consumer resources, elasticity, metering, hybrid capabilities, and disaster recovery.
- Development Languages - Knowledge and understanding of multiple IT programming languages and ability to write code and develop applications using those languages, e.g., NET, C#, PowerShell, React JS, Node, SQL Server, REST APIs, JSON, Terraform. Problem-solving skills to identify and resolve issues, ability to identify the source of the problem and find the root cause.
- IT Service Management - Ability to manage IT services lifecycle (service strategy, design, transition, operation, continuous service improvement) and use DevOps methodology and tools to analyze results.
- Infrastructure and Hosting - Strong knowledge of IT infrastructure concepts, e.g., firewalls, load balancers, storage, monitoring, security, etc.
- May require work outside of normal business hours and/or 24/7 response availability for system and application maintenance, enhancements, production releases and/or operational emergencies.
- Must reside in Southern California or be willing to relocate upon hire.
- We offer a hybrid work environment. Although the schedule may vary, typically this will allow you to work from the office two to three days per week and work remotely on the remaining workdays.
- 5-7 years - programming experience, including experience with Dev Ops engineering, designing for high systems availability, driving system orchestration and automation, architectural standardization, and test automation.
- DevSecOps Methodologies - Strong understanding of processes and concepts to drive the integration of development, operations, and security into enterprise software development to produce better outcomes.
- Configuration Management - Knowledge of configuration management techniques, and ability to identify, control and change work production relationships and migration between environments.
- Continuous Configuration Automation Tools - Knowledge of platforms and applications designed to assist or enable continuous configuration automation, e.g., Ansible, Terraform, etc.
- Principles of Lightweight Architecture - Knowledge related to lightweight and cloud-based approaches to IT infrastructure and configuration management, including an ability to apply techniques such as containerization, microservices, and API gateways.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Area of Interest
Information Technology Full-Time/Part-Time
Full-time Total Rewards Philosophy
Note: SDG&E strives to ensure that employees are paid equitably and competitively. Starting salaries may vary based on factors such as relevant experience, qualifications, and education.
SDG&E offers a competitive total rewards package that goes beyond base salary. This position is eligible for an annual performance-based incentive (bonus) as well as other merit-based recognition. Company benefits include health and welfare (medical, dental, vision), employer contributions to retirement benefits, life insurance, paid time off, as well as other company offerings such as tuition reimbursement, paid parental leave, and employee assistance programs.